Re: *Another* Backup software question...

On Jul 13, 2013, at 3:08 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I'm interested in experiences of others. In my experience CDs and DVDs
> more likely will fail, than HDDs do.

My 10 DLT tapes have had no failures in 10+ years. And they don't seem to care much about being dropped (on a carpeted floor; I haven't tried concrete).

The drive, however, did fail once -- a screw came loose inside  and an idler in the tape path 'fell over.' I fixed it myself by opening the box and putting things where they looked like they were supposed to be (with a little LockTite on the screw); tolerances are forgiving, and no cleanroom was needed.

I'm a serious fan of DLT tape...

Do your backups at night, though. They aren't as fast as a disk. And recovery, for the impatient, can be painful :-)

--
Glenn English