Re: *Another* Backup software question...

On Sat, 2013-07-13 at 04:42 -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
> Drives are subject to mechanical wear and electrical failure. They can
> fail even when not being used because bearings can stick, etc.. Drop
> one and it may become a paperweight.
>
> I don't even trust HDs in my computer, which is why I only run RAID
> arrays. I'd never trust a single-spindle device for archiving. Optical
> media on the other hand is generally mechanically and chemically
> stable for decades.

I'm interested in experiences of others. In my experience CDs and DVDs
more likely will fail, than HDDs do.

How should DVDs and CDs be stored? I guess UV light will harm them, not
an issue, they simply should be stored in a drawer.

Regarding to my experiences and the experiences of friends with CDs,
DVDs, DVDRAMs, USB sticks, DAT tapes, HDDs (from different ages) and
floppy disks and the experiences regarding to SyQuests from friends

- CDs, DVDs, USB sticks, DAT tapes (equal to those small computer data
  cassette tapes) are completely unreliable
- HDDs are relatively reliable
- Try to get a SyQuest drive in 20 years
- Using DVDRAM is something between a PITA and impossible, they are at
  least usually very slow on Linux

That's why I bought an USB HDD awhile ago.