Re: *Another* Backup software question...

On 13/07/13 21:17, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sat, 2013-07-13 at 20:58 +0100, Dom wrote:
DLT has a single spool in the cart (the other being in the drive), a
fast moving tape and stationary read/write head. The tapes are also
much bigger and wider. I've found them to be very reliable over the
years.

Thank you, I already have seen this (Google images).

No wrecked DLT tapes?

A couple caused by faulty old drives. One wrecked because someone put the tape in upside down! Which is pretty much impossible. I can't see how they did it without a sledgehammer - mind you, knowing the person who did it...

An audio studio DAT recorder might be more used and especially the
portable once are more stressed than DDS for the computer, however, you
pointed out that you got a few wrecked tapes, this is a common issue,
the mechanic is bad designed.

One spaghettied tape is an accident, _a few_ tapes IMO makes it unusable
as a backup media.

A few out of several hundred. I've had worse failure rates from other media.

--
Dom