Re: *Another* Backup software question...

On 13/07/13 20:27, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sat, 2013-07-13 at 12:18 -0600, Glenn English wrote:
On Jul 13, 2013, at 3:08 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

I'm interested in experiences of others. In my experience CDs and DVDs
more likely will fail, than HDDs do.

My 10 DLT tapes

I don't know DLT, but many people I know and myself have experiences
with DAT. The tapes are equal to DDS.

The problem here aren't the tapes, but the drives. I never heard of a
DAT drive that lived very long, neither consumer, nor professional
studio DATs. The mechanic is comparable with VHS video recorders, but
they are that small, that the size of a drive sometimes is as small as a
Walkman. Spaghettied tapes are a common issue for DAT, since DDS is the
same I won't trust it and I suspect DLT doesn't differ much.

There is very little similarity between DDS and DLT tapes. DDS is, as you say, a bit like VHS, in that it has a cartridge with two spools, a slow moving tape and a rotating helical scan read/write head. Actually, I've had very few wrecked tapes on those from DDS1 up to DDS-4.

DLT has a single spool in the cart (the other being in the drive), a fast moving tape and stationary read/write head. The tapes are also much bigger and wider. I've found them to be very reliable over the years.

--
Dom