Re: *Another* Backup software question...

On Jul 13, 2013, at 1:27 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> Spaghettied tapes are a common issue for DAT, since DDS is the
> same I won't trust it and I suspect DLT doesn't differ much.

Yes, it does. DLT is quite different from DDS -- it's not a helical system like VHS and DDS. It has several tracks on 1/2 inch tape. And the electronics in the drive can move the head around to position things for the best performance. They're very reliable, but the drives can be a tad pricy for home use...

There are pros and cons. But in my experience, reliability is not one of the cons. For cons, look to speed and price :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Linear_Tape
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Data_Storage

--
Glenn English