What's with the blue overlining in text consoles?

Something strange has started happening recently.  For a long time I have
used ISO-8859-1 as my character mapping in text consoles.

   dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

and I have had no difficulty, except when using the ssh client to connect
to a remote system which uses UTF-8.  The box-drawing characters sent by
the remote system did not look right under these conditions.  To solve this
problem, I switched my local system to use UTF-8.  Now the box-drawing
characters sent by the remote system look right when displayed by my
local ssh client.  However, I recently began noticing that all blue fields
are now overlined.  For example, the lynx web browser, when used in a
text console (vt1-vt6), displays emphasized fields (the <em>...</em> html
tag) as blue overlined, when it used to display them simply as blue.

I can live with that, I suppose.  But what really bothers me is when I
use the c3270 text-mode 3270 terminal emulator to logon to a mainframe.
All blue fields are now overlined!  This is driving me batty!  I tried
searching the world wide web using search words of

   blue overlining "UTF-8"

but did not obtain any useful results.  Does anyone know the cause of this?
Does anyone know the cure?  Is this a bug?  If so, in what package is the
bug?  The problem does not seem to occur in a Gnome Terminal window, only
on a text console.  My system locale is en_US.UTF-8.  I am running an
up-to-date Jessie system on i386 architecture.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :