Re: *Another* Backup software question...

On 7/12/13, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
> On 7/12/13, Intense Red <intnsred@golgotha.net> wrote:
>>    Okay, here's a different backup software question.
> audio files etc
>>    Does anyone have a suggestion for a "smart copy" program that will
>> logically copy portions of a subdirectory tree in 4.4GB "chunks"? TIA.
>
> jigdo
>
> And see also JTE, at http://www.einval.com/~steve/software/JTE/
> referenced by package jigit

And for the record:

http://superuser.com/questions/85466/utility-to-optimally-distribute-files-onto-multiple-dvds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_spanning

Also, if you're talking DVDs and compressed audio files, the
simplest/sanest way might be to do something like this:

du -hs */*

given your particular hierarchy, or use a graphical file manager and
select various folders, checking the size of your selection until you
have about a DVDs worth. That way, your backups will be sequential to
match your audio collection, and a few MiB of wasted space at end of
DVD should not be a problem. That's what I'd do if I were doing this.

good luck
zenaan