Re: *Another* Backup software question...

Intense Red grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
>    Okay, here's a different backup software question.
>
>    The scenario: Call me weird, but I buy plastic CDs and refuse to buy
> "electronic" music. I tediously rip my CDs to Ogg files and store them on my
> file server. (The CDs go into the basement.) Great, I'm happy. I have 12-15 GB
> of Ogg files. Each Ogg file is stored in a tediously-named subdirectory tree
> arranged by "Genre -> Artist -> Album". I want to back up this music
> subdirectory tree.
>
>    In the past, I've tarred these files up. That's a pain in the butt because
> my backup medium is DVD-Rs. Not only do I have to re-splice the tar files
> together after a restore, but the files on the DVDs are not in a usable state
> (and other backup programs have taught me to be leery of non-native
> filesystems).

Good grief, how often do you need to restore? :-)

>    So a query: Is there any "copy" program that would logically copy/backup to
> a DVD and use some intelligence to copy/backup the files so that the DVDs get
> filled up?
>
>    I'd love to have these files as raw files on a DVD, but I don't want to
> wasted DVDs and I'm not going to bother to figure out what files are needed to
> fill up the DVDs. And given the nature of my backups, I only backup every 6
> months or a year, or whenever I go on a CD buying kick (after all, we're not
> talking about accounting data here!).
>
>    Does anyone have a suggestion for a "smart copy" program that will
> logically copy portions of a subdirectory tree in 4.4GB "chunks"? TIA.

I Googled a bit and found a few items on the subject:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1120095/split-files-using-tar-gz-zip-or-bzip2

http://magazine.redhat.com/2007/10/24/tips-from-an-rhce-splitting-tar-archives-on-the-fly/

http://trulymanaged.com/blog/how-to-split-a-large-files-to-multiple-parts-using-tar/

There are others out there as well, but those seem to give a pretty good
idea of how to do what you want, assuming I'm reading you right. :-)

          --Dave