*Another* Backup software question...

   Okay, here's a different backup software question.

   The scenario: Call me weird, but I buy plastic CDs and refuse to buy
"electronic" music. I tediously rip my CDs to Ogg files and store them on my
file server. (The CDs go into the basement.) Great, I'm happy. I have 12-15 GB
of Ogg files. Each Ogg file is stored in a tediously-named subdirectory tree
arranged by "Genre -> Artist -> Album". I want to back up this music
subdirectory tree.

   In the past, I've tarred these files up. That's a pain in the butt because
my backup medium is DVD-Rs. Not only do I have to re-splice the tar files
together after a restore, but the files on the DVDs are not in a usable state
(and other backup programs have taught me to be leery of non-native
filesystems).

   So a query: Is there any "copy" program that would logically copy/backup to
a DVD and use some intelligence to copy/backup the files so that the DVDs get
filled up?

   I'd love to have these files as raw files on a DVD, but I don't want to
wasted DVDs and I'm not going to bother to figure out what files are needed to
fill up the DVDs. And given the nature of my backups, I only backup every 6
months or a year, or whenever I go on a CD buying kick (after all, we're not
talking about accounting data here!).

   Does anyone have a suggestion for a "smart copy" program that will
logically copy portions of a subdirectory tree in 4.4GB "chunks"? TIA.

--
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity." -- Martin Luther King Jr.