stuttering and snow in xfce4-terminal

Ever since the update to wheezy, xfce4-terminal has been slow to respond to a carriage return, and sometimes it leaves graphical update trash in the screen. Hidden windows will look like the old static-filled analog TV screen, and the line where you are typing input will get similar trash , maybe including repeated character output.

Anybody else seen this? Have an idea what's going on?

I'm assuming/hoping it's some setting I need to fix.

--
Joel Rees