Re: Backup/Restore software?

On 11/07/13 11:29 PM, Glenn English wrote:

On Jul 11, 2013, at 9:10 PM, Gary Dale wrote:

On 11/07/13 08:42 PM, David Guntner wrote:
I've been religiously backing up my Windows machine for years with a
program called Acronis True Image.  It works well, lets me backup my
system to a second hard drive in the computer, and will do a weekly full
backup and daily incremental backups, cleaning up older backup chains
and so on.

My Linux machine (Debian 6.0.7 at the moment, but planning on updating
to Wheezy soon), on the other hand, has gone far too long without any
real backup protection.  I'd like to rectify that if I can. :-)

Is there a Linux backup package that will do pretty much what I
described above?  I want to be able to set it and forget it so it just
runs every night on its own and that way I have about a week or two's
worth of backups to fall back on.  I need it to be able to do a full
restore in case of a disaster as well as being able to restore selected
files/directories in case of a "oh why did I rm *that*?" moment. :-)

Any suggestions?

                  --Dave

AMANDA. It does incremental backups (not just mirrors -- so it backs up only what's necessary, and you can deal with "oh why did I edit *that*?" too) in such a way that, in case of a major disaster, you can recover using tools like tar and dump. I've heard it can do backups to disks now, in addition to tapes.

Like Backula, though, it's complex to configure...

Both are reasonable solutions for backing up more than a single machine. Both have clients for Windows. I just think Bacula is a little more advanced and I prefer the GPL to the BSD license AMANDA uses.

I don't find Bacula complex to configure, but you do need to understand a little about how it operates in order to get it work the way you want.

Some of the other solutions are designed for client machines whereas AMANDA and Bacula don't use a GUI. Some people get intimidated by this, but it is more flexible and allows them to run more or less unattended.

If you have more than one computer, I definitely recommend something like Bacula.