Re: Backup/Restore software?

Gary Dale grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> Bacula. It backs up whatever you want it to however you want it to.
>
> It's not as simple as some, but if you want a comprehensive backup
> solution, it's hard to beat. Bacula has some pretty good job definitions
> set up by default to do, for example, a weekly full backup and nightly
> incrementals with backups going back as far as you want.
>
> I use it to back up home directories and some shared Windows files kept
> on another machine. Bacula works well in mixed environments.

Sounds promising!  I'll look into it.

I've been a *NIX junkie since before Linux existed; config files don't
scare me easily. :-)

> On the other hand, to do a full system backup to a second drive, try dd.
> Something as simple as a cron job to do
>   dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M
> will do the copy quickly and effectively.

I'm sure it does, but I'm not looking to just copy over the entire
system to another drive every day.

> However, you may also want to consider software raid (mdadm). Use your
> two drives in a RAID 1 array so that a single drive failure won't shut
> you down. Use this in conjunction with bacula to avoid the "why did I rm
> that" problem and you should be unstoppable.

Agreed.  Unfortunately I've been out of work for a while now, so
purchasing *two* drives is kinda out of the question.  At least for now.
 So if I do scratch up enough money to get another 1T hard drive, I'll
use it for backups.  But soon as I'm working again, a RAID mirror is
definitely something I'd want to set up, for just the reason you mention.

> RAID 1 also leads to faster reads.

Really?  I thought that the stripped array would get you faster access
than simple mirroring.  Guess I learned something new. :-)

              --Dave