Re: Switching to 64 bit

On 7/1/2013 11:07 AM, André Nunes Batista wrote:
> I enjoyed very much to read your previous post, but here I'll have to
> disagree.
>
> Debian aims to be a universal operating system, but this is to some
> point contradictory with the pace of computer architecture innovation,
> which is not at all controlled by free software community, but self
> imposed as a "natural pace" of technological development disregarding
> all social issues in this "run to faster" and the constant cycle of
> trashing good piece of hardware.

Support for HP-PA and Alpha were dropped some time after HP EOL'd these
architectures, even though there were still good machines in use.  It
appears the installed base was simply to small to justify ongoing Debian
support of these platforms.

The only reason i386 is still supported by Debian, and Linux upstream,
is the fact that VIA (maybe others) still produces 32 bit only CPUs, and
that there is still a large installed base of older Intel/AMD 32 bit
only PCs in the world.  AFAIK, AMD/Intel haven't produced 32 bit only
x86 CPUs for a few years now.

--
Stan