Re: Switching to 64 bit

I enjoyed very much to read your previous post, but here I'll have to
disagree.

Debian aims to be a universal operating system, but this is to some
point contradictory with the pace of computer architecture innovation,
which is not at all controlled by free software community, but self
imposed as a "natural pace" of technological development disregarding
all social issues in this "run to faster" and the constant cycle of
trashing good piece of hardware.

Debian is great because it strives and grows despite these difficulties
and brings us somewhat "outdated" software that behaves great and
respects us. Not because it is the most bleeding edge of technological
enhancement.

I'm not saying we shouldn't move. But as I see, the question to move is
basically different to different kinds of computer use and developers
shouldn't blame people for not rushing to upgrades. Said developers
should question why their push wasn't seen as primary issue as they
first thought it was.

--

Luther Blisset
GNUPG/PGP KEY: 6722CF80

I challenge you to play the game in which there is no loser but
everything is fun and worthwhile!

--- Begin Message ---
On 6/29/2013 6:00 PM, Doug wrote:

> So why have we been
> bamboozled into running 64 bits if there is no advantage?

There are many reasons.  One is priming the pump.  At some point in the
future applications are predicted to become so content rich (bloated)
that individual application processes will require more than 2GB of
address space.  Moving to 64 bit now gets everyone ready.

Another is the desire of developers to eventually dump the 32 bit x86
instruction set altogether.  Those who write the memory management code
disdain the segmented addressing scheme of x86.  x86-64 provides a much
flatter memory model which is easier to program.  Those who maintain
complete distros, such as Debian, would surely appreciate building
~30,000 binary packages instead of ~60,000, and tracking/fixing bugs in
only one of these instead of both, etc.

To name a few.

--
Stan