Re: strange execute-command-as dialog pops up

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 6:41 AM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
(erk)
[...]
So, alternatives to gdm3 include

kdm (pulling in all of that),
lightdm (another gnome project),
slim (which is the one I was using before, but was removed during upgrade),
wdm (afterstep fun stuff),
ldm (properly tunneled, in theory, need to look at that),
and xdm (a bit too light for modern tastes).

And I need to get one of those installed and set up and kick gdm3 to the curb. Probably slim again for now.

For the record, I installed slim via synaptic, and it got into a wait loop. I clicked the "details" ("status", or whatever it is in English) triangle and saw the text-mode dialog about needing to choose a default display manager. My first reaction was, "Oh, noooo, I should have done this with apt-get install, like a good sysadmin!

Some time-wasting later, I tried clicking the okay button in the status/details area, then hit the enter key on a lark, and found (was reminded?) that the text mode dialog in the status/details area is fully functional.

Should I go make a features request for a better prompt?

Something like, "install shell status (may be interactive):"

--
Joel Rees