Re: how can I set the from address in mutt?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary Dale" <garydale@rogers.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 12:05:11 AM
Subject: Re: how can I set the from address in mutt?

>> No, I had all that. The address rewrite is a pain but not the real
>> issue. I don't want it using my account name. I want it to use an
>> address I set. Staticsafe's advice on .muttrc rules did that trick. I
>> just need to set up different .muttrc files for the various reply-tos
>> I want to use. I suspect I can also program it into mutt but I don't
>> want to devote that much energy to something that I have a really
>> simple way of handling.
>>
>> Thanks though.
>>

>BTW: a second part of the problem would be to have e-mail going out from
>different e-mail addresses through exim4. Right now I can specify the
>credentials to use in passwd.client but that only allows one credential
>per server so far as I can see (e.g.
>  *.rogers.com:any@rogers.com:mypasswd
>  *.yahoo.com:my.yahoo.com:mypassword
>
>I'm not sure if setting my_hdr from: would allow that or interfere with
>the various set from = settings I'm using to get the e-mail to go at all.

I think maybe what you want is msmtp.  It can coexist with exim4.  It is
similar in principle to the built-in SMTP capabilities of Icedove, for
example.  If you want to use mutt to send messages from multiple accounts,
then I think msmtp is the way to go.  Each user can have his own config,
each with multiple accounts.

-Rob