troubleshooting Icedtea plugin

I'm trying to get a proprietary application to run in Iceweasel.  Icedtea / OpenJDK doesn't work -- it just produces a blank screen.  Oracle's Java plugin does work, but I'd like to get Icedtea working.  What kind of troubleshooting steps can I take when I get a blank screen and no error messages?  I have access to the source code of the proprietary app.  I'm not a programmer, but I can probably read and understand most of the code if I need to.

-Rob