Re: how can I set the from address in mutt?

On 28/05/13 11:51 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
On 28/05/13 01:15 AM, Paul Condon wrote:
On 05/27/2013 07:20 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
I want to send e-mail with an attachment via a script. The attachment requirement prevents me from using mail but mutt can handle it.

Normally when I send using mail, I can simply use the -r option to set the mail user account specified in /etc/exim4/passwd.client. This is probably clumsy and there must be a better way of doing it but it works.

Now I want to use mutt to send attachments but it doesn't have the -r option. Putting in "my_hdr From:" in .muttrc doesn't do it either.

Can someone suggest a way to make this work? It's probably trivial but I can't find the solution via google.

There is a package named exim4-config . Run "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config , i.e. reconfigure the config package for exim4, which is separate from the actual exim4 package. Answer the questions and you get return address overwriting in exim4 plus other stuff that you would have never known you needed. To handle a password authorization, read /usr/share/doc/exim4/README.Debian.html section 2.3 and man exim_passwd_client for the details of the format of the file passwd.client

HTH,
Paul

No, I had all that. The address rewrite is a pain but not the real issue. I don't want it using my account name. I want it to use an address I set. Staticsafe's advice on .muttrc rules did that trick. I just need to set up different .muttrc files for the various reply-tos I want to use. I suspect I can also program it into mutt but I don't want to devote that much energy to something that I have a really simple way of handling.

Thanks though.

BTW: a second part of the problem would be to have e-mail going out from different e-mail addresses through exim4. Right now I can specify the credentials to use in passwd.client but that only allows one credential per server so far as I can see (e.g.
 *.rogers.com:any@rogers.com:mypasswd
 *.yahoo.com:my.yahoo.com:mypassword

I'm not sure if setting my_hdr from: would allow that or interfere with the various set from = settings I'm using to get the e-mail to go at all.