Strange behavior with pdf docs

I seem to be having a problem with scanned documents. Many of the ones I have scanned over the years will not open properly. I have tried in okular and gimp, as well as in the new built-in pdf reader in iceweasel. In okular and gimp, I get a strange icon over the top of the document (see attached), and in iceweasel, I get a semi-transparent yellow page with black bars over the document. I used gscan2pdf to scan most all of said documents, during about the 0.9.x days.

Does anyone know what the cause of this is and is there a way to fix it?

Thanks,
--b