Re: How to investigate system hangs?

Dawid Toton, 16.05.2013:

> I am running wheezy. It worked perfectly for a year or two.
> But yesterday (and today again) my system got deadlocked. I'm not sure
> where to look for causes.
> Both events went like this:
> * I open the lid, the system resumes
> * I enter the password, I get applications apparently working
> * after short time, like few mouse clicks, everything becomes unresponsive
> * the mouse cursor can move
> * the system is still able to log USB mouse plug event, however the
> plugged mouse is apparently not listened to
> * ctrl+alt+f1 doesn't bring me a terminal (even after SysRq+R)
> * SysRq commands are logged and executed, so I can reboot with it

I wonder if it's Xorg that's having problems.  Can you go stop X and
go to a virtual console before suspending?  If resuming from that works,
that would mean it's Xorg.

Also, if you can use another computer to connect to the laptop after
it freezes, you could try killing Xorg.

Another thing you can test is to just use ctrl+alt+f1 to go to a
terminal as soon as you resume.  Then wait a while to see if the freeze
happens even when you're sitting in the console.

> I have looked at nearly everything at /var/log, but I see nothing
> suspiscious for my untrained eye.
>
> May I ask some advice? Do you know of some recent major changes that
> would e.g. affect some WiFi operation or something else that activates
> few seconds after system resume?
> How do I check what package upgrades preceded the hangs?

You could try /var/log/dpkg.log, /var/log/dpkg.log.1, etc.