Spurious letter appears in OpenOffice printed document

Here's a crossover problem.

Document prints with a spurious letter in upper left hand corner of image:

1. On debian PC running squeeze, only since recent apt-get update.
2. On WinXPSP3 laptop, the same document prints perfectly with the same printer.

Prints the extra letter whether on a No.10 envelope or on 8-1/2x11 letter paper.
Letter is always uppercase, but not always the same letter. Always same place.

Document looks perfect on both 'puters. Also prints the extra letter if I convert to PDF and print that from Document Viewer. Document is several years old and never printed like this before.

Application is OpenOffice.org (3.0 on debian, 3.3 on WinXP).

Debian PC prints through CUPS interface via hardwired ethernet; WinXP laptop prints through wireless ethernet. Printer is HP P1505n laserjet.

I also asked this question on the OO forum.

George Langford