Re: Spurious letter appears in OpenOffice printed document

On Tue 14 May 2013 at 11:03:14 -0400, George Langford, Sc.D. wrote:

> Here's a crossover problem.
>
> Document prints with a spurious letter in upper left hand corner of image:

Intriguing!

> 1. On debian PC running squeeze, only since recent apt-get update.

By design Squeeze is stable, so the only updates you would have got
would have been related to security. CUPS, for example, had one a few
months ago but it is very, very unlikely to produce a side effect like
this. Any idea what your recent update pulled in? And how long ago is it
since you updated?

> 2. On WinXPSP3 laptop, the same document prints perfectly with the
> same printer.

A different OS, A different printing system.

> Prints the extra letter whether on a No.10 envelope or on 8-1/2x11
> letter paper.
> Letter is always uppercase, but not always the same letter. Always same place.
>
> Document looks perfect on both 'puters. Also prints the extra letter
> if I convert to PDF and print that from Document Viewer. Document is
> several years old and never printed like this before.

What application produces the PDF? What do you see if you view the PDF?

> Application is OpenOffice.org (3.0 on debian, 3.3 on WinXP).
>
> Debian PC prints through CUPS interface via hardwired ethernet;
> WinXP laptop prints through wireless ethernet. Printer is HP P1505n
> laserjet.

What PPD/driver are you using?

> I also asked this question on the OO forum.

A URL would be useful to track responses.