Re: Using qemu to boot Fedora x86_64 iso

On Mon, 13 May 2013, Joel Roth wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> This is borderling off-topic: I'm using qemu under Debian to
> try to run the latest Fedora 64-bit .iso.
>
> qemu-system-x86_64 --enable-kvm -cdrom
> Fedora-18-x86_64-Live-Desktop.iso -m 512 linux.img
>
> Fedora boots, the spinner-pointer runs, and eventually the
> system hangs showing a monitor logo and the message
> "Please ask the administrator for assistance."
>
> I'd like to do some testing in a virtual machine.
> Wonder if anyone has suggestions to get a better result.

I gave up on qemu a long time ago, and switched to Virtualbox for all
my VM needs.

Also, I've used Fedora as my primary OS for 7 or 8 years until just
recently switching to Wheezy, and you'll need more than 512MB of RAM to
install or run a contemporary Fedora release. If you have the RAM, I
suggest allotting 2GB minimum to run GNOME and do anything useful. 4
would be better.