Re: Strange things going on in Sid

On Wed, 8 May 2013 12:06:29 -0700
Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
>

> > I've done what I usually do in times of trouble and switched to
> > Synaptic, which I find easier to use to maintain a working system
> > and clear logjams. I'll go back to aptitude when the dust settles a
> > bit.
>
> That is interesting. I always use Aptitude (in interactive/ncurses
> mode, mind you) and have never found a better way to manage my
> packages. I use Unstable+Experimental and at times have mixed in
> Ubuntu repos. I love flying through the dependency chains as fast as I
> can think, and jumping around with vi-style searching. I think the
> last time I tried Synaptic was probably at least four years ago,
> though.

I know it's possible, but I've never really got on with interactive
aptitude, my thinking doesn't seem attuned to it and I've never been
forced to use it enough to get the hang of it. My GUI-less server runs
Stable, which tends not to get in this kind of mess.

I have to admit to not being a vi person either. I went straight from
Edlin to Norton Commander, with considerable relief. I can hack it
enough to manage email from Mutt, but I'm more comfortable with
CoolEdit, or gedit on GUI.

--
Joe