RE: Strange things going on in Sid

Re: Strange things going on in Sid

> On Wed, 08 May 2013 11:30:20 -0400
> Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:
>
> > After fixing a networking problem this morning, I attempted to update
> > my Sid system.
> >

> > I am dumbfounded at the number of packages apt wants to remove,
> > including things like gedit and rhythmbox !
> > I have always run a unstable system but never had anything like this
> > before?
> >
> > What is going on here ?
> >

> Bob has given a detailed answer, but yes, both Unstable and the new
> Testing are currently living in interesting times, and I do think the
> tsunami was a little higher this time than usual. I was given an
> unbootable kernel two days ago, and one of the dependencies for the
> headers didn't exist in sid. It does now, but I'll wait a while...
>
> I've done what I usually do in times of trouble and switched to
> Synaptic, which I find easier to use to maintain a working system and
> clear logjams. I'll go back to aptitude when the dust settles a bit.

This is why people should wait six months before switching to jessie, and why sid is only for the experienced, the hard core, and those who don't mind serious breakage leading to reinstalls.  I was bitten by the bad kernel, and as a side effect, it rendered X unusable as well.  No matter what kernel I chose to boot, and I had several to choose from, X was toast.  It was not a configuration issue, or a mismatched kernel module.  I never tried seriously to solve it, I used it as an excuse to build a new machine.  I have my data, and that's all I care about.  (Wheezy runs quite well on fairly recent hardware, and installing on a non-locked UEFI system works well enough.)

BTW, I find that aptitude is useful only in interactive mode.  In command mode, it is far too aggressive.  I occasionally use safe-upgrade, though.