Re: Strange things going on in Sid

On Wed, 08 May 2013 11:30:20 -0400
Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> After fixing a networking problem this morning, I attempted to update
> my Sid system.
>

> I am dumbfounded at the number of packages apt wants to remove,
> including things like gedit and rhythmbox !
> I have always run a unstable system but never had anything like this
> before?
>
> What is going on here ?

Bob has given a detailed answer, but yes, both Unstable and the new
Testing are currently living in interesting times, and I do think the
tsunami was a little higher this time than usual. I was given an
unbootable kernel two days ago, and one of the dependencies for the
headers didn't exist in sid. It does now, but I'll wait a while...

I've done what I usually do in times of trouble and switched to
Synaptic, which I find easier to use to maintain a working system and
clear logjams. I'll go back to aptitude when the dust settles a bit.

--
Joe