Re: Strange things going on in Sid

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 08 May 2013 11:30:20 -0400
> Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:
>
>> After fixing a networking problem this morning, I attempted to update
>> my Sid system.
>>

>> I am dumbfounded at the number of packages apt wants to remove,
>> including things like gedit and rhythmbox !
>> I have always run a unstable system but never had anything like this
>> before?
>>
>> What is going on here ?
>>

> Bob has given a detailed answer, but yes, both Unstable and the new
> Testing are currently living in interesting times, and I do think the
> tsunami was a little higher this time than usual. I was given an
> unbootable kernel two days ago, and one of the dependencies for the
> headers didn't exist in sid. It does now, but I'll wait a while...
>
> I've done what I usually do in times of trouble and switched to
> Synaptic, which I find easier to use to maintain a working system and
> clear logjams. I'll go back to aptitude when the dust settles a bit.

That is interesting. I always use Aptitude (in interactive/ncurses
mode, mind you) and have never found a better way to manage my
packages. I use Unstable+Experimental and at times have mixed in
Ubuntu repos. I love flying through the dependency chains as fast as I
can think, and jumping around with vi-style searching. I think the
last time I tried Synaptic was probably at least four years ago,
though.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers