Re: .wav to text?

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 06:26:45PM +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> You can then apt-get update again and then update as normal. To clear the
> database you may also try "dpkg --clear-avail", then do a new "apt-get
> update".

Will that work? AFAIR, dpkg only knows about locally installed packages,
so I wouldn't recommend the "dpkg --clear-avail" command.

In situations where I have installed a foreign package, (i.e. one that
isn't the sources list) I've never bothered messing with dpkg's
knowledge of the system, it just does the right thing.

e.g.

root@tal:~# apt-cache policy fahclient
fahclient:
  Installed: 7.1.52
  Candidate: 7.1.52
  Version table:
 *** 7.1.52 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

IOW, what does an "apt-get update" do after a "dpkg --clear-avail"?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X