Re: what's your Debian uptime?

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:56:53AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> I don't think uptime challenges are useful.  It makes people want to
> do something that they shouldn't want to do.  When kernel security
> upgrades come along just install them and reboot.  Human made
> "machines" of all types have been running for a very long time and it
> just isn't productive or useful to try to go for a record.

The central realization is that machines provide services, and
it is the service that needs to be continuously available, not
the machine.

Load balancers, fail-over, and similar schemes are much more
likely to bring long-term success than a carefully tended
kspliced single machine, even though the latter is impressive in
its own right.

-dsr-