Re: Unexpected results attempting to install Squeeze(6.0.5) to USB flash drive

Curt wrote:
> Richard Owlett wrote:
> > I think we have different ideas of "full install to a USB
> > flash drive" ;/
>
> We do?
>
> > I want to wander from machine to machine carrying only the
> > flash drive resulting in picking up my work where I left off.
> > If I understand your description correctly, you are
> > constrained to run only on the original piece of hardware.
>
> I am constrained to one piece of hardware?  Why?

You are each talking past each other.

> I downloaded the installer to my home directory, plugged in my usb
> drive (unmounted), then started the installer like so:
>
> kvm -m 512 -hdb /dev/sdc -boot d -cdrom debian-wheezy-DI-rc1-amd64-netinst.iso

Richard, I believe Curt is suggesting this as a method for
*installing* the system to the USB.  After it has been installed on
the USB storage device then you can take that device and boot it on
other machines as you desire.

Question: Why set it up the sdc usb device with -hdb?  Why not use
-hda for the sdc usb device?  Although at first guess it seems to me
like it won't matter either way.

> I booted the installation up in kvm (with -m 1024) (I chose the LXDE
> desktop); it's pretty damn snappy even when run inside the virtual
> machine. Much snappier than the live isohybrid with LXDE I put on a
> usb stick and ran in kvm in the same way.

Curt, I believe you intended that as additional supplemental
information.  But that is where things went into confusion.  The above
made it appear as if you set up a system that needed kvm to *run*.  If
you had said you pulled the usb stick out and booted another system
with it then all would have been clear.

Bob