Re: vnc server

ChadDavis wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > And then people found that starting a server was inconvenient.
> > Wouldn't it be better to export the current desktop?  Instead of
> > exporting a new, unique and different desktop?  It is possible.
>
> Clarification.  Are you saying that some vnc servers serve up a remote
> login to a new session, while others simply share an existing gnome
> session?

Yes.  That is exactly what I am saying.

When you start a vnc server session with vnc4server or tightvncserver
or other then it starts a new X session.  This is a completely new and
separate X session on a new and different display (such as :1).

Many people have it start a duplicate of their standard X session from
:0 but onto the next X display :1.  Meaning that if they are running
GNOME on :0 then they are running GNOME on :1 too.  But it is a
separate instance on a separate X display.

Many people find it confusing to have an identical desktop windows in
a vnc client to their current desktop.  It is mentally easier to use a
simpler window manager for the vnc one.  By default it will set up
using "twm" which is a very simple and light weight point and shoot
window manager.  Which is usually plenty enough since you are already
running another window manager on top.  The choice of vnc X session
window manager is configurable.  I like twm for vnc but I know others
who use GNOME on one and KDE on the other just so that they look
enough different that they can tell them apart easily.

The use for a standalone vnc session is often because people are
running a non-Unix/GNU non-X window system such as MS-Windows on their
desktop.  They want to run Unix/GNU graphical tools such as a CAD/EDA
program or some such on a server machine.  Therefore they log into the
server machine with ssh and start up a vnc X server session there.
Then connect to it using their desktop (MS-Windows) VNC client.  In
that very common situation there is no existing desktop session
running until they start one.  There may be a dozen or more people on
each server and each will have a different :NUM display to themselves.
Each of them will connect to a different VNC session on the server.
This is quite typical of schools and corporate industry.  It is rather
of a low performance PITA solution but I see people do it every day.

The use for bare desktop vnc is the GoToMyPC or LogMeIn model.  You
own your own desktop.  You want to connect to your desktop from
elsewhere.  In that case you don't want to start up a new :42 X
session.  In that case you want to connect to the existing :0
session.  That is where the GNOME desktop options for "desktop
sharing" come into use.  Configure GNOME to share the current desktop
and you can use vnc to connect to the :0 without needing to start up
an additional X session.  It will load the x11vnc module into the
running X session and expose the root display :0 to the world so that
others (perhaps you) can connect to it, see it, and drive it.

Bob