Re: root password

On 27/03/13 12:44 PM, Robert B McKittrick wrote:
my system 6.0.7 does not recognize the root password I gave it when
installing. is there any way to reset root without reinstalling?
bob

Boot from a rescue CD (such as your install CD, or system rescue CD).
mkdir /mnt (if it doesn't exist)
mount -t ext4 /dev/sda /mnt  (or whatever your values are)
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
chroot /mnt
passwd

then enter a new password for root.

The mounts with -o bind probably aren't necessary in this case, but they are frequently needed is you are doing serious work in chroot.