Re: debian-6.0.7-amd64 how to set resolution and refresh for free NVIDIA X drivers?

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 07:21:22PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> I recommend to use a more or less classical xorg.conf. I'm still using
> CRTs myself.
>
> >From my current Ubuntu:

OP beware, please do not try something like Ralf's xorg.conf yourself.
For a start, it specifies the radeon driver; but it also declares modelines
that may not be appropriate to your monitor, which in extreme cases could
result in hardware damage, apparently.

Modern X should not require any xorg.conf at all, with all relevant information
automatically detected, and the goal here should be to get you to a desired
resolution without introducing one.