Re: debian-6.0.7-amd64 how to set resolution and refresh for free NVIDIA X drivers?

On Tue, 2013-04-09 at 09:59 -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> debian-user:
>
> I have an Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard with integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150
> graphics and a fresh install of debian-6.0.7-amd64, XFCE desktop, and
> xdm display manager.  The display seems to be running at 1024x768 @ 60 Hz.
>
> I booted in recovery mode and ran:
>
>      # Xorg -configure
>
> which created /root/xorg.conf.new.  But when I try to use that file, X
> hangs when starting.
>
> I have used the proprietary NVIDIA driver in the past, but would like to
> use the free Debian drivers instead.
>
> 1.  I can determine the current resolution and refresh via Start ->
> System -> Preferences -> Monitors, but I cannot change those settings.
>
> 2.  How do I determine the current color depth (e.g. 8/16/24 bits per
> pixel)?
>
> 3.  How do I change the display settings -- resolution, refresh, color
> depth?

I recommend to use a more or less classical xorg.conf. I'm still using
CRTs myself.

>From my current Ubuntu:

$ cat /mnt/q/etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "X.org Configured"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
  	DisplaySize  305 230
  	HorizSync    29-98
  	VertRefresh  50-120
	modeline     "1152x864" 128.42 1152 1232 1360 1568 864 865 868 910
  	Gamma	     1.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver	"radeon"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth	24
		Modes      "1152x864"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Depending to the used card, I get different options to set up different
resolutions and frequencies by the Xfce GUI, with equal settings for the
monitor. There are more choices for my NVIDIA card. However usually I
need 1152x864 at a much higher rate than even 70Hz, currently it's 90Hz
and that's ok.

Useful information would be the vendor and model of your monitor and
your xorg.conf.