Re: Squeeze X86 with 4GByte RAM?

Athlon 64 was the processor which introduced the amd64 instruction set,
so you should be able to run that if you want. If you're willing to re-install, you might as well go with wheezy at this point.

Anyway, with a 4GB system you have to ask yourself whether you really
need that extra 10-12% of memory: does your system swap currently?
64 bits binaries tend to run a little faster yet use a little more
memory (bigger words and pointers), so with a mere 4GB the gain is not
huge. If I were you, I'd either let the system as is (specially if it
runs comfortably under 3.5GB anyway), or parhaps try the PAE kernel
available from backports (currently 3.2+46~bpo60+1, so fairly similar
to the one wheezy uses).

FWIW, I have an Athlon 64 3500+ system which runs fine with the
2.6.36 PAE kernel from mepis11 (a squeeze variant).