Re: Wheezy issue with broadcom 5720 nic on new dell PowerEdge R720

On 3/18/2013 2:44 PM, Casper Langemeijer wrote:
> On 03/18/2013 02:23 PM, Casper Langemeijer wrote:
>>
>> It gets even more weird: I had the NIC daughter card replaced, and the
>> problem still exists. I think I will use the machine in production as
>> it is now. Since I'm not using 4 ethernet ports, for me the issue is
>> not blocking. I hope someday someone encounters the same problem and
>> finds a solution.
>>
> This story has a happy end. I fixed it by running the firmware
> installer. The firmware installer is in the 'Lifecycle controller' BIOS.
> It can download the firmware from a dell ftp server, and allows a
> firmware 'upgrade' even if the newest firmware version is the same as
> currently installed.
>
> Now that I can restore the situation, I could replay this again if
> anyone is interested. I could install the firmware-linux-nonfree package
> and see if the problem occurs again. I will have physical access to this
> machine on Wednesday only. After that, it's co-located.

There are two different, or should I say separate, firmware.  One is
permanent, either in EPROM or flash, and one is volatile.  The permanent
one is what you upgraded from FTP.  I'd guess that what happened here is
that the version of the volatile firmware loaded by the Xen kernel isn't
compatible with this permanent firmware rev, for one reason or another,
or the wrong volatile firmware was loaded due to device
mis-identification, i.e. volatile firmware for one of the other
Broadcomm NICs was loaded.  Some of the output you posted seemed to
suggest this may have been the case.  I have seen such a problem before
but it is pretty rare.

--
Stan