Re: Two copies of E-Mail (Re: I wish to advocate linux)

David Guntner wrote:
> Brian grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> > > Would it be possible to also pipe outgoing mail through procmail or
> > > similar, on its way to the MTA/SMTP server?
> > There is a Debian package of proxsmtp. This program can proxy mail to a
> > local or remote MTA. More to the point, it can run a script which can
> > process the mail before passing it on. This one, for example:
> >    MID="$(date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S"NoCcsPlease@example.com)
> >    TO="$(formail -zx"To":)
> >
> >    if [ "$TO" = "something which identifies debian-user" ] ; then
> >      formail -I "Message-ID: ${MID}"
> >    fi
> >
> > There we are! A Message-ID generator which can be used with MUAs other
> > than Mutti to mark list mails. Thank you very much for the nudge.
>
> Question:  Doesn't doing that mess things up for others, should you
> reply to said message?  The In-Reply-To: field when you send your reply
> is going to now reference the new Message-ID you just put in, and for
> those who use readers with threading, won't that break the thread (since
> they won't have any messages which are using your new locally-stored
> Message-ID)?

This sets a specific Message-Id on outgoing mails only.  This isn't
changing any message that has been replied to.  These are *new*
messages which will be seen for the first time.  This is the same as
any new message posted to the mailing list.  Just setting the
message-id to that pattern conditionally.  It either gets the
NoCcsPlease (or similar) string or it gets the string that the MTA
assigns to it normally.  Either way it is a new message and a new
message id will be assigned to it.

Bob