Re: fix HD order

> On 28-Feb-13 16:55, Joao Luis Meloni Assirati wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> i've 4 HD's and 3 distros.
>>> When i load debian squeeze, the sdc hd is slected by grub, but the next
>>> time i load it, the sda hd is selected.
>>> It seems a randomize selecting.
>>> How can i fix this ? UID is used and settings by name don't resolve the
>>> problem.
>>> And yes, i have win7 also on a separate hd.
>>> thanks
>> Do you always see the same grub menu when booting? It is possible that
>> you
>> have different grub configurations in each HD and the BIOS is choosing a
>> different disk to boot from each time.
>>
>> I would try to make sure that the bios always choose the same disk when
>> booting. If this is not possible, then all files /boot/grub/grub.cfg in
>> each HD should be equal and use UUIDs.
>>
>> Also, make sure that the /etc/fstab in each distribution use UUIDs.
>>
>> João Luis
>>

> After verification, this problem occurs after a windows cession and
> reboot to squeeze.

Ot looks something related to drive ordering that windows is somehow
changing. If all your /boot/grub/crug.cfg in all your Linux installations
are equal and using UUIDs, for example

search --set=root 92d5965d-87d9-4004-885b-74179cda67aa

and the kernel command line is also using UUIDs, for example

linux   /vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64
root=UUID=92d5965d-87d9-4004-885b-74179cda67aa ro  quiet

and also the fstab is using UUIDs, your setup should work always with grub
installed in all MBR of all drives. Note that UUID identifiers for the
root device in the kernel command line are supported only if you are using
a standard initrd or initramfs.

If you did all of this and the problem persists, please send attached all
your 3 grub.cfg and fstab, identifying to which drive all of them belong.

> I've 2 squeeze distribs, a new fresh installed and the old one.
> The old one couldn't boot with an uid. It crashed at the boot.

This seems an unrelated problem.

> So i
> reset the /etc/fstab HD version to boot it correctly.
> I'm now a + 20years debian user and hadn't never so many problems with
> it. (squeeze)
> Would a ubuntu choice better at now?

I have no idea because I am a Debian user, but I would be very glad to
know. If you try it, please come back to the list and share your
experiences.

Best regards,
João Luis.