install grub2 to root partition

I have multiple partitions, Ubuntu installed on one and grub2
installed in the MBR.
When I installed Debian (6.07) on a new partition I wanted to install
grub for that partition but was unsuccessful.
Used the "Advanced Install" process and reached the "Grub install"
options but kept getting a red screen saying it was unsuccessful.

During the partition stage I gave Debian 2 partitions ('/' and
'/home') and made '/' bootable.
I know this partition is '/dev/sda6' and gparted verifies this.

The reason for wanting grub (or grub2) also installed in the Debian
partition is because I plan on installing the Xen hypervisor.
That way when I do "update-grub" from within Debian, it will update
the "right" config files and give a new menu during the boot process.

So my question is: how do I install grub (or grub2) into the root
partition of Debian to allow chainloading?
I have no problem re-installing Debian if that is the best choice.
-Skippy