elpa install failed

I tried installing elpa on wheezy emacs and the install failed.  It
appears the control-j key when pressed after the piece of code is put into
the scratch buffer and the cursor is positioned just after the last right
parenthesis does nothing.  Was this some kind of security fix put into the
debian flavor of emacs?  According to standard emacs documentation
control-j at the end of a code block is supposed to evaluate the code and
take action as instructed by that code.  I got the code I used off the
elpa home page site and used a cut and paste operation to save it to a
file first.
cut here.
(let ((buffer (url-retrieve-synchronously
               "http://tromey.com/elpa/package-install.el";)))
  (save-excursion
    (set-buffer buffer)
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (re-search-forward "^$" nil 'move)
    (eval-region (point) (point-max))
    (kill-buffer (current-buffer))))
cut
here.
jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
Remember Microsoft didn't write Tiger 10.4 or any of its successors.