Re: I wish to advocate linux

> There was once a fellow on a list I belong to whose postings
> were one tale of woe after another which is not that unusual for
> those of us who tinker and work in technology. The trouble with
> him was that it was all one big conspiracy against him and he
> was just going to get out of the hobby of amateur radio all
> together as nothing ever worked for him.
>
> 	He never read about the how and why of things. His idea
> of life was you borrow yourself in to the poor house, buy all
> this neat stuff, demand accessible manuals, hook it all together
> the way you think it goes and then complain when it blows up and
> or just doesn't work.
>
> 	Never once did I hear him ask why an antenna must be
> built a certain way or how do the rest of you solve this or that problem.
> It was all along the lines of "I spent X Dollars for this or
> that and it quit on me in a puff of smoke, bla bla bla.
>
> 	List members told him about articles he could read,
> suggested he contact somebody locally who could help show him
> the ropes as to how to do these things right, etc.
>
> 	Finally, I think everybody just gave up. He left the
> list and I have no idea what happened but this present
> discussion reminds me much of that very similar discussion. We
> were all jerks and just out for ourselves.
>
> 	In the 35 years I have been involved with modern
> computing, my experience has been that if you show you are
> making a good effort to help yourself, people will at least
> point you at a good reading list and many times, they do a lot
> more than the call of duty says they should do.

I think that is exactly the case. This guy managed to get everybody in
this list working for him, even if he is unable to make a single
meaningful objective question. Even if he is insulting individual people,
the community and Debian ("nothing works, why am I not surprised")! And at
the end all the energy spent with him will be lost. People will get tired
and he will leave crying that "it is impossible to install Linux" and
"Linux people are jerks".