Re: Installation failed

Mark Filipak wrote:
On 2013/3/1 3:29 PM, Go Linux wrote:
--- On Fri, 3/1/13, Mark Filipak <markfilipak.linux@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Mark Filipak <markfilipak.linux@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Installation failed
To: "Shane Johnson" <sdj@rasmussenequipment.com>
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Date: Friday, March 1, 2013, 2:12 PM

I'm afraid it's install Linux on a USB thumb drive or
nothing.

Duh . . . How about installing on an external hard drive?

That would be nice, but that would be on USB also...

Ummm, no. USB memory stick does not equal USB drive. For one thing, a USB drive (and associated driver) has an MBR, a USB stick does not.

The Debian Live USB is acting like a CD. That's fine, I can
boot from it. But I can't configure it (different wallpaper,
for example) and I can't install anything (Icedove, for
example). Do you
know of any way to do that?

You can install to USB with 'persistence' - an additional writable partition - which will allow some user changes to be retained.

If I could install to USB, I'd do just that. My problem is that I can't install to USB.

Again, because you're not following the directions. It sounds like you're making your USB stick into the equivalent of a live CD - which creates temporary storage in a ram disk - all of which goes away when you power cycle. There's no persistence. If you want persistence, then you have to do things like create a persistent partition on your USB stick.

How about following people's suggestions, rather than doing things in the way you think should work, and then asking people why it isn't working. You've got two very specific recommendations on the table:
- download and burn a Knoppix DVD, then use it to install onto a USB stick
- follow, in detail, step-by-step, the Debian install directions

So far, you've done neither, just complained that what you're trying isn't working. If you don't want to take advice, how about not pestering us.