Re: install grub2 to root partition

>> When I installed Debian (6.07) on a new partition I wanted to install
>> grub for that partition but was unsuccessful.
>> Used the "Advanced Install" process and reached the "Grub install"
>> options but kept getting a red screen saying it was unsuccessful.
>
> What was the error?  At that point press Alt-F4 and look at the
> installer console screen.  Hopefully there will be some clue there as
> to the problem.

Sorry. Didn't copy that down. But I don't think it was informative.
Something to the effect "error installing to ..."
No reason or code was given.

>> During the partition stage I gave Debian 2 partitions ('/' and
>> '/home') and made '/' bootable.
>
> The "bootable" flag is legacy and AFAIK no longer used nor relevant.
> It was an old MS-DOS thing.
Good to know.

> You should be able to boot this partition manually by booting grub
> from the MBR installed by Ubuntu.  Then stop the countdown and enter
> command line mode.
>
> Unfortunately at that point the instructions are completely different
> depending upon whether it is grub 1 or grub 2.  So I will just say
> that it is possible to enter the commands manually and boot either
> system.  There is even TAB completion of the filenames.
>
> Grub 1 is simple.  Just enter the commands.  Simple.  Grub 2 is much
> more complicated and really too complicated to enter everything by
> hand.  But editing the configuration on the fly is quite reasonable.
> Select edit and modify one of the existing entries.  Works well enough.
>
> Having booted the system itself you should be able to run the
> grub-install command from the command line and debug it further.

This I should have been clearer with. The grub2 install of the MBR
was fine. I can boot into either OS. But I can't boot into a second
"chain-loaded grub" of the Debian install itself.

When I boot into Debian and do "grub-install /dev/sda6"
   sudo grub-install /dev/sda6
   /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a
partition instead of the MBR.  This is a BAD idea..
   /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.
   GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.
   However, blocklists are    UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
   /usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: if you really want blocklists, use --force.

Which was where I was at one point earlier. I mention this because I
then used the "--force" option and altered the grub2 config file installed
in '/etc/default/grub' of Debian. To force a menu to display if the chain
involvement from the grub install - because (I believe) grub was not
successfully installed in the the root partition of Debian.

-Skippy