Re: I wish to advocate linux --pclos from flash

On Fri 01 Mar 2013 at 12:38:25 -0500, Tom H wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Joao Luis Meloni Assirati
> <assirati@nonada.if.usp.br> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks but these instructions are for creating an installation flash drive
> >> on Linux - and they're well hidden. So it's a fail from the perspective
> >> of the person criticizing distributions for not providing readily-available
> >> Windows instructions for creating one.
> >
> > Wow! This trolling will never end. Will you find instructions in
> > Microsoft's site on how to install Windows from Linux?
>
> This is silly. Why is discussing how to give more/better instructions
> for creating a Linux installation disk on Windows trolling?! You have
> to assume that potential first-time Linux users, who don't have a
> Linux-using friend who can/wants to help, are going to want to do so
> and that they might want to use a flash disk rather than a CD/DVD.

Spot on! In fact, they may want to move away from the old shiny disk
technology and take advantage of what Debian provides with its isohybrid
images. It really isn't that hard to give sound, useful advice.

> If I had a non-work-supplied-totally-locked-down Windows installation,
> I'd try the Ubuntu solution for Debian (that application looked like
> it had a drop-down menu with a list of distributions) and suggest some
> changes to the "burn an ISO on Windows" page of the Debian
> documentation.

Something like

   http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2012/08/msg00053.html ?