Re: I wish to advocate linux

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Wed, 2013-02-27 at 19:04 -0500, Mark Filipak wrote:
In the Debian live page, dd is offered as the way to copy the ISO file
to a USB stick. But the dd program offered only runs in Linux! What
good is that to someone who is running Windows at the time?
If I get a new computer, then nothing is installed. Without another
computer I need to use a live media to download a *NIX image and to burn
it. I'm not interested to install a Windows or any other proprietary OS,
to get Linux or another *NIX running.

I don't know the dd method to use a USB stick, but since dd is a common
command, it's usually available on live medias.

However, I recommend to install from a CD or DVD. Download the ISO, burn
it with your preferred application for what OS ever and then install
Linux.

echo that - getting USB sticks to work as an install medium is a right royal pain

When it's installed, but not working, post the issues you get to this
list.

but first, try following the install directions - the ones for Debian are pretty good:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
before downloading the ISO, start with the instructions!

some folks seem to think Ubuntu or Linux Mint are easier for newbies, I wouldn't know, never tried them

OpenSuse is particularly well polished, if you want something that feels more commercial.