Re: Questions about multi-arch and 3rd party packages in Wheezy

> and then tried to install icaclient with ' dpkg -i
> icaclient-12.1.0_i386.deb' since it is a third party package and not in
> the debian repositories.  Unfortunately, dpkg does not automatically
> handle dependancies, like agt-get and aptitude do, so I get a list of
> dependencies, all i386 libraries.  Is there any way to install such a
> package and get the dependant libraries installed other than manually
> installing each one?  I would rather have them installed and marked as
> automatically installed so that if a true 64 bit version becomes available
> and I remove the i386 version and install the AMD64 version then the i386
> libs that are no longer required would be removed.
>
> Marc

When I install something which is not in repositories (or in external
repo) I usually install it with dpkg, and then use aptitude in ncurse mode
to look and fix dependencies.

It allows me to control the exact behavior of the installation and avoided
me many problems. In fact, I use aptitude in ncurse mode near every-time I
am doing upgrades, I like the easy control it gives on
upgrades/installations/removal of packages.