Re: Anybody have a chromebook? Can it run Debian?

Mark Allums wrote:
From: Chris Bannister [mailto:cbannister@slingshot.co.nz]
On Sat, Feb 02, 2013 at 09:06:55PM -0600, zxcvbob wrote:
I have a different model Chromebook with an Atom processor and a
SSD. It should run Debian just fine; I have Debian on an older
netbook, but good luck installing it!  (My info is about a year old
and from memory)  Chromebook BIOS is locked-down pretty tight.  You
will have to find a "signed" installation distro and install it on
the chromebook in "Developer Mode."

Chrome OS runs on a Linux kernel, but the terminal has *very* few
commands, and you cannot get to the update manager or install any
Linux software.  You can install free "apps" from the Google store.
I presume the device can't be rooted. :( But if so, this may be worth a
look:

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=linux&c=apps&=en_GB

At least 1,000 results
It's been done.  I don't know which specific model, but you can use
developer mode in some to achieve root, and from then on, you can do what
you like.

Google
chromebook "developer mode"
and you'll find lots of detailed instructions, including this one:
https://sites.google.com/site/chromeoswikisite/home/what-s-new-in-dev-and-beta/developer-mode
which goes on to describe how to how to install Ubuntu (not quite Debian, but close) and dual-boot it with ChromeOS