Re: Anybody have a chromebook? Can it run Debian?

Chris Bannister wrote:
On Sat, Feb 02, 2013 at 09:06:55PM -0600, zxcvbob wrote:
I have a different model Chromebook with an Atom processor and a
SSD. It should run Debian just fine; I have Debian on an older
netbook, but good luck installing it!  (My info is about a year old
and from memory)  Chromebook BIOS is locked-down pretty tight.  You
will have to find a "signed" installation distro and install it on
the chromebook in "Developer Mode."

Chrome OS runs on a Linux kernel, but the terminal has *very* few
commands, and you cannot get to the update manager or install any
Linux software.  You can install free "apps" from the Google store.

I presume the device can't be rooted. :( But if so, this may be worth a
look:

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=linux&c=apps&=en_GB

At least 1,000 results

It is possible, but it's not easy. I tried installing a Linux distro (don't remember which one) from a thumb drive in Developer Mode and the BIOS recognized it but would not boot it because it wasn't signed. Google has some way of allowing developer self-signing, but I never looked into how that works.

Bob