Debian Wheezy freezing

Hi  everybody,

I have a Lenovo laptop, with CPU Intel Core i5, which I use to work.
I installed Debian Wheezy and the system freezes randomly. No response to keyboard or mouse clicks, just mouse moves. Needed to restart all the times.

I searched a lot about this problem, and many people suggest the installation of a newer kernel (current is 3.2).
Currently, on kernel.org, stable release is 3.7.5.

I never compiled a kernel before, so I am afraid of the problems it might create. I'm worried about virtualbox, which I installed through aptitude. I'm also considering upgrade to Debian unstable branch. It have a kernel newer than 3.2, doesn't it?

So my questions are:

1) Which is better? Keep Debian Wheezy and compile a new kernel, or upgrade to Debian Sid? 2) Have you guys compiled a kernel before? How it was? Can you provide me a good tutorial about it?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Will