Re: Debian Wheezy freezing

On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 6:36 AM, William Ivanski
<william.ivanski@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Lenovo laptop, with CPU Intel Core i5, which I use to work.
> I installed Debian Wheezy and the system freezes randomly. No response to
> keyboard or mouse clicks, just mouse moves. Needed to restart all the times.
>
> I searched a lot about this problem, and many people suggest the
> installation of a newer kernel (current is 3.2).
> Currently, on kernel.org, stable release is 3.7.5.
>
> I never compiled a kernel before, so I am afraid of the problems it might
> create. I'm worried about virtualbox, which I installed through aptitude.
> I'm also considering upgrade to Debian unstable branch. It have a kernel
> newer than 3.2, doesn't it?
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1) Which is better? Keep Debian Wheezy and compile a new kernel, or upgrade
> to Debian Sid?
> 2) Have you guys compiled a kernel before? How it was? Can you provide me a
> good tutorial about it?

sid/unstable has the same kernel version as wheezy/testing because
we're in freeze.

This [1] is a good kernel compilation page by one of this lists members.

You don't need to compile a kernel though; you can install 3.7.3 from
experimental.

1) http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm